Culture Night is an annual all-island public event that celebrates culture, creativity and the arts. This year, it will take place on Friday 21th September 2018. On Culture Night, arts and cultural organisations and venues of all shapes and sizes, including the National Cultural Institutions, extend their opening hours to allow for increased access to the public. Special and unique events and workshops are specifically programmed at participating locations and everything is available free of charge.
Culture Night has grown from a relatively small scale cultural event staged only in Dublin in 2006 to the significant national cultural event it now is, with some 350,000 people visiting museums, galleries, historic houses, artists’ studios and cultural centres across the country. The initiative has captured both the public imagination and the enthusiasm of artists and cultural organisations.
- -Encourages more people to visit cultural venues and experience culture in their locality
- -Reminds us all about the fantastic cultural facilities and resources that we have locally and nationally
- -Raises the profile of cultural organisations, activities and facilities
- -Encourages people to try new things and to get into the habit of going more often to cultural venues and activities in their locality
- -Makes it easier for people to play a role in their local cultural scene
- -Helps create a sense of community and belonging
Who makes Culture Night happen?
Culture Night happens because many people share a vision and enthusiasm for enjoying, celebrating and promoting creativity and culture. The following list gives a taste of the wide range of people and institutions that make it happen across Ireland:
the public, artists, performing groups, galleries, museums, sports clubs, libraries, arts centres, craft workers, studios and workshops, theatres, public spaces, broadcasters, schools, community groups, local authorities, Government Departments, state agencies and public bodies, transport companies, universities, shops and many more!