The Showgrounds is a stadium in Sligo, which has been home of Sligo Rovers since Rovers were formed in 1928.
Most club’s histories are focused on the team’s quest for silverware but in Sligo it is a bit different. Central to the history of Sligo Rovers is the story of the Showgrounds, and there is a special association and affinity between our supporters and this famous old ground. The Showgrounds takes its name from the annual show held at the grounds by the County Sligo Agricultural Society, the first one held in 1908.
In 1928 Sligo Town amalgamated with Sligo Blues to become Sligo Rovers, and the Showgrounds became their home. Over 80 years later, the ground has had its share of drama and excitement – the club’s first league success in 1937, Straka’s famous penalty against Shamrock Rovers in 1955, to the memorable Cup and League campaigns of the last thirty years. But what makes the Showrounds so special to the current generation of supporters is the realization that it was nearly lost to the club.
Capacity: 5,500 (4,000 seated)
Record attendance: 13,908
Team: Sligo Rovers F.C.